Medical problems in pregnancy are included in the curriculum for Core Medical Training as well as many of the medical specialty training programmes. These sessions are designed to build up the learner’s knowledge and complement their exposure to unwell pregnant women, which is often infrequent.
The module is divided into six sessions, which are designed to be completed in order.
1. The physiology of pregnancy
2. Medical disorders complicating pregnancy
3. Prescribing safely in pregnancy
4. Clinical assessment of the pregnant patient
5. Communication and co-ordination of care for the complex obstetric patient
6. Common and important clinical scenarios: sepsis and thromboembolism
The sessions feature interactive exercises, case examples and short videos to increase the learner’s knowledge and confidence in this field.