Communicating with empathy consists of six sessions that have been developed to promote sensitive and effective communication in end of life care.
Each session offers valuable, interesting and accessible learning that will be useful for informal carers, agency and care home staff, healthcare assistants and other staff providing end of life care.
Each session is designed to take 20-30 minutes to complete and the sessions can be completed in any order. The content includes interviews with professionals, patients and family members, video clips of simulated conversations and interactive exercises and quizzes.
At the end of each session learners can print or save a certificate which summarises the essential learning points.
1. Introduction to communication skills and how these are applied in end of life care
2. Making the most of listening
3. What do we mean by body language?
4. Responding to challenges in end of life care
5. Assessing and responding to communication needs
6. Examples of communication challenges: distractions in the workplace and communicating when there are language barriers